Adjustment of Status Based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

Helping Clients Gain Green Cards After Marriage

Evanston Adjustment of Status Lawyer

Love may know no bounds, but the U.S. government does. Fortunately for immigrants who wish to live with their U.S. citizen partners in the U.S., the path toward becoming a permanent resident and even citizenship is possible with help from Takhsh Law P.C.

If you’re in a bona fide (genuine, real, or otherwise honest) relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a Green Card, you can become a Green Card holder and gain status as a permanent resident in the U.S. The first step is to gain entry into the U.S. on a K-1 or K-3 visa, depending upon whether you’re a U.S. citizen’s fiancé or already their spouse. Both expire at different times, but in either case, the adjustment of status attorney in Evanston at Takhsh Law P.C. can help you convert your status to the permanent resident by receiving a Green Card.

Get help to increase your chances of receiving a Green Card through marriage with help from attorney Alen Takhsh. Contact him online or call 877-762-1518 for more information.


There are a number of reasons you can be disqualified from receiving a Green Card even if you meet its basic eligibility requirements. Knowing what some of these pitfalls are can not only help you know when you need legal help from a status adjustment lawyer in Evanston but help you prevent a problem in the first place.

Otherwise eligible Green Card applicants commonly become admissible for the following reasons:

  • You don’t marry the U.S. citizen named on your K-1 visa, even if you’re with another U.S. citizen
  • Your visa expired before you filed to change your status
  • You worked without receiving authorization to do so
  • You entered on another temporary visa but failed to maintain its lawful validity
  • You were not inspected and admitted by a U.S. immigration officer
  • You were admitted as a visitor through the visa waiver program


If you were born outside the United States, married a U.S. citizen, and are staying in the U.S. you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency via green card through adjustment of status.

Below is an overview of the application process:

  • Complete Form I-485 and submit it to USCIS.
  • If your U.S. citizen spouse has not already done this on your behalf, submit Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) to USCIS.
  • Your U.S. citizen spouse must file the Affidavit of Support on Form I-864.
  • Complete Form N-944 (Declaration of Self-Sufficiency)
  • Complete a medical exam through a USCIS-approved doctor. The results must be included with your adjustment of status paperwork.
  • After your application is processed, attend a fingerprinting appointment.
  • You and your U.S. citizen spouse must attend the adjustment of status interview. You may have an attorney with you during this stage

USCIS may request additional information via mail or they make ask for a follow-up interview. Eventually, you will receive a decision on your adjustment of status. If you are approved, you will receive a notice in the mail, along with your green card. You may check the status of your case online at any time.

Related Reading:

If one of these or another immigration law challenge is on your mind,
call Takhsh Law, P.C. at 877-762-1518 today.

If one of these or another immigration law challenge is on your mind, call Takhsh Law, P.C. at (312) 561-3735 today.

What Our Clients Are Saying
Excellence Recognized
Takhsh Law, P.C.